Friday, December 12, 2008

Go to Sleep. (Little Man being Erased.)

something for the rag and bone man
over my dead body
something big is gonna happen
over my dead body

someone's son or someone’s daughter
over my dead body
this is how I end up sucked in
over my dead body

I’m gonna go to sleep
and let this wash all over me

we don't really want the monster taking over
tip toe round, tie him down
we don’t want the loonies takin’ over
tip toe round, tie him down

may pretty horses come to you as you sleep
I’m gonna go to sleep
and let this wash all over me


Go To Sleep (Little Man Being Erased)
It's two sides. Two sides of the corner a lot of the time, I suppose. There's definitely two prevailing voices. Little man being erased is an animation that Stanley [Donwood] did, which is gonna be on the website probably. That was another possible title for the record, which is nice but didn't fit. The words to this were pretty much written all the way down the line; 'Ok, change all these at one point because this is all nonsense, blah, blah, blah'. And then, actually ended up in the studio and it's like, 'Ok, I need to rewrite the words'. And then reading through the words and discovering that I'd actually got something really coherent without actually having made the effort to do it, or rather, I couldn't see it. It's actually the lyrics I'm most proud of on the record, I think.
--XFM interview with thom

It was a bit of a shock to start with ‘2+2=5’ firstly because we didn’t expect it to go on the record and secondly, when we did record it, it was only really a test and we didn’t even really remember doing it. It was just knocked out. It’s very throwaway and Ed was massively into the idea of putting something just throwaway at the beginning ‘cos every time we put a record out it’s like; ‘Hey, it’s a big deal for the first thing’. We just wanted to get away from that kind of thing completely, I mean, y’know I think ‘2+2=5’ could even be on ‘Pablo Honey’!
2003-07-03 | XFM

'2+2=5' is good, but as Nigel says, I wish I had another go at that one. We wanted to do things quickly, and I think the songs suffered. It was part of the experiment. Every record is part of the experiment.
--Thom | 2006-07 | Spin

No comments:

Post a Comment